It
seems no matter how many times you graduate, conquer or experience success in
areas of your life, there is always a new experience waiting to put you back to
pre-school. Which is exactly where we were this week, parenting school
induction.
7 couples nervously glancing at each others bumps sitting in a circle discussing their fears, excitements and questions about motherhood. It was such a giggly experience and we even made new friends. I really loved the atmosphere of super supportive partners, it was beautiful.
Things have been changing in the womb department this trimester, I have a pretty round bump, not to be confused with beer and pizza anymore, and I am finding my back arch defining as I walk and sleeping is becoming not-so-easy.
I’ve now officially outgrown my wardrobe and am in a limbo of ‘in-between clothes’. Bump is still too small for official maternity wear (kinda looks like those baggy pants gangsters wear below their backsides – except on my belly) and it is too big for my ‘usual’ clothes.
Some awesome highlights the second trimester brings
For about a week I was feeling movement but couldn’t be sure if it was gas moving around or a baby, until I actually felt it. Like a tickly feeling, perhaps even a worm squiggling in my belly I felt it! Tuesday 4 December at about 8:45pm. I won’t forget it. It took another 5 weeks for my husband to feel movement, but I was so happy for him when he did I burst out laughing and couldn't stop - displays of emotion are out of my control these days.
At a recent Doctor appointment, mostly going through the standard hoo haa, he asked to examine my belly and check the heartbeat. I thought he meant mine but as I laid there listening, not another sound in the room, I heard my baby's heart beating. A pure miracle. This.is.really.happening.
Also, the fun novelty stuff like baby apps that tell me how big the baby is. Currently it is an eggplant! Plus I’m using the energy of this trimester to buy the baby ‘stuff’ (clothes, furniture, decor, bedding etc).
Still can’t eat weetbix after a rather nasty episode in Trimester 1, from which I will spare you the details.
Sleeping. Since about week 8 a solid night sleep is rare. I wake either sneezing, busting for the toilet or searching for my body pillow.
Food aversion of chocolate. Currently it sits here as a negative because the stomach pains and depressed emotions I feel after eating the stuff is still raw. But overall this is a big positive, removing processed sugar from my diet.
I feel like some parents look down at mums to be, as if we are so naive about what is going to happen. While I appreciate knowledge sharing, that’s what women do, I don’t like the constant reminders about how my life will ‘end’ when the baby arrives.
Mental Shift
I was having arguments (verbal disagreements that is) with my dogs as if they were irresponsible and disrespectful humans. Have my dogs actually changed? No.
Perhaps I picked fights with them because they don’t talk back….
On a positive, I feel like a real woman now, priorities for my body are clear and I have no hesitation to follow them. I walk at least 3km every morning, practice yoga/Thai chi once a week and swim once a week. I eat fresh food and hydrate myself with at least 1.5ltrs every single day.
I recently finished a book, Great with Child, as mentioned in my last post. It left me feeling really humble and ready for what motherhood will bring.
Some people visualise motherhood as kind of romantic and beautiful, which in essence it is, but like most things… nothing worthwhile comes easily. I am going in with no expectations other than dreaming of the great adventures we will have together.
Asos, Ripe and Jeans West maternity clothing is taking the lead in my wardrobe. Since I am growing so quickly my wardrobe items are too and it makes it REALLY hard to plan an outfit or even remember what you currently own. Seriously.
We are not finding out the gender of our bump and you would think most newborn baby attire, linen and general decor might come with more of a neutral aspect, I have found this is not the case.
For baby linen, I found Baby Bedding, Adairs and Bubba Blue to be the best online and Big W for cute sheets.
Clothing for baby is the cutest from Pure Baby and Seed, thick cotton outfits = perfect for winter babies.
IKEA for some decor and soft items. Peter Rabbit (stocked at Myer) for the most adorable soft blankets and even outfits.
For the baby wheels we have purchased a City Select Baby Jogger and bought most of our furniture second hand, with exception to all mattresses and soft furnishings and our change table.
I plan to make most of the wall decor myself, either through designing cute posters, painting or photographs.



Hi Mon, you have such a beautiful way with words, I loved reading your bump files. You look absolutely gorgeous too!
ReplyDeleteWe are loving our first time parenthood! It's hard to believe little Halle is 8 weeks old already. Everyday she amazes us with something new from sucking her thumb to smiling and new little noises.
We bought exactly the same baby wheels as you and I love it. It's the best having the attachment so our car capsule fits straight onto the wheels. It saves having to take her out of one into the other if she's sleeping peacefully. It was the best money spent!
Take care
Paula Hitch xox
Hi Paula, I love her name and it gives me goosebumps to read your experiences in the first weeks. Halle is a beautiful little girl and I look forward to seeing more pics.
DeleteThanks for the feedback on the car capsule, we loved the city select will let us have our second baby and still fit in the same pram as well as all the other features.
You look radiant Mon :) I love how open and honest you are about your pregnancy and from a 'babiesareinthedistantfuture' kind of girl, I really think you reflect how I'll feel when I do take that step. I think you've got a lovely balance and I've no doubt that when your little miracle arrives you life will not 'end' but instead be amplified to a whole new level. Big love darling! You're one hot mumma-to-be! x
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, first time I've discovered this blog but I just had to say you look absolutely stunning in that last photo! Glowing, radiant, fresh, dewy, beautiful! Congratulations!
ReplyDelete