Maintaining energy and patience in the festive season

Tuesday, 11 December 2012


It was Monday morning, I jumped out of bed for the usual morning walk, I felt a bit off but pushed through. Arrived at the office, the mood was sombre. No one seemed to be happy to be in the workplace, the parking inspector was hovering around, I was still hungry after lunch, energy levels were at all time low. I arrived home, strangely the husband was exactly the same. We decided Red Rooster and a night in front of the telly was the perfect remedy. I felt slightly better.

Sound familiar at this time of the year? We are so busy focusing on a gazillion other things, we leave our well being behind in the end of year rush. Some people even saying words like (dare I say it) "Can't wait for Christmas to be over" so they can restore order to their lives! EEEP, we are in tough times people.

In my 'low energy day' I felt my mind darting from work, the planned renovations, work, emails, doctor appointments, work, blog reading list, gardening, dinner, gifts for the husband, time off, money, work.... you get the picture.

focus.

They say you are one person, so work on one thing at a time. Sure, laugh it off in our multi-tasking, multi-device world. But it is true. Switch off from your other thoughts, what are you working on right now that needs your attention, then  you will shift your focus to the next task.


write it down.

Won't get outta your head? Get out your notepad and write it down. Sometimes I even write on post-it notes at the office of my 'to-do' list for when I get home. Write it down, move it out of your head space.

Spend some time to write in a journal, it doesn't need to be a thesis. Writing helps me centre my thoughts and be grateful. See things in perspective for a moment.


keep exercising

Don't stop moving your body. In between working and studying (the sitting jobs) I will get up and move around or walk the block. You will feel re-energised and most likely be more productive on your return. Try it!


plan your meals

Sure I should practise what I preach (as above), but we are all entitled to a bad dinner once every now and then (right?). Majority rules and if you are letting your nutrition slip, you can always get it back on track.


give a gift with meaning

I'm big on this one for 2012, making gifts for friends and family. Don't use your wrestling moves on crowds in the Christmas Rush, plan an afternoon with the husband, kids or friends and make some gifts. I'll do a little DIY guide this weekend on some goodies I'll be whipping up. You can also give a gift with meaning, sponsor an animal (make sure it is through a reputable organisation), give to charity in someones name, give a 'doing' gift to someone so you can spend some quality time together.


be grateful

The fact you can sit at your computer or device and read this already makes you richer than most of the world. Take a moment and be grateful for everything you have and have achieved this year, large or small. I bet you are not the same person you were last Christmas. Write it down and come back to it when you go to write your affirmations for the new year.


kill the drama queen in you

This is a big one. So many families I know, in fact all of them, can become fragile after a whole day in the same house together. It brings up old battles, this persons view against the world and jealousy amongst each other etc etc.

Don't let yourself downward spiral into a negative manifesting and gossiping. It is a definite waste of energy and precious time.

enjoy

Enjoy the big feast, you know there are limited days in the year where it doesn't count how many chocolates you eat, or how many scoops of potato salad you just heaped onto the plate. Lap it all up and roll around in the festivities! There is something magical in the air in December, so make the most of it.

6 comments:

  1. i defnately needed to read this, I felt calmer and more ready by just reading through your post!!
    Focus is something I really need to work on, too many distractions!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ash! I think I felt calmer by writing it :) Xx

      Delete
  2. Ohhhh I love this post so much! I so feel you it's that time of year and it's amazing and exciting but people become a bit more grouchy, working a bit more and basically as you said their minds are split between a million different things and frazzled.

    All your suggestions were awesome, loved focusing on one thing, I am really trying to focus on being in the moment only having one thing I am doing. It's going okay but difficult when I am still thinking about something exciting and rushing around.

    Also so looking forward to your gift of meaning guide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I felt it was a timely reminder for all, mid-December tends to be when the wheels are showing signs of falling off.

      I'm looking forward to an afternoon of making this weekend! :) I just need to remember to take photos as I go.

      Delete
  3. Awesome post! Just what I needed to hear xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica.

      Your recent post on starting a business while working was just what I needed! Xx

      Delete

Liked this post? Why not leave a comment! I LOVE reading each and every one.. Xx

MB Captured - Behind the Business All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger