Three steps to a goal free and successful life

Sunday, 29 April 2012

Do you actually need goals to be successful? It is possible to merely wander through life and have amazing opportunities present themselves to you? or is it by meticulous planning and goal setting that you achieve your greatness?


As an organised and perfectionist Virgo, I have always been one to write my aspirations down on paper and somehow form them into my to-do list. I actually take great satisfaction from simply ticking an item off, I like to do the small things right and then let the bigger things have a bit more freedom to morph into whatever great beast they please. (Which I think means I am organised rather than goal orientated.) The important thing to note is that the list is ever-changing and super flexible.

I know the general direction I want to go, but certainly don't beat myself up if I don't achieve it. Some people call it my 'phases' - but what if an amazing opportunity came up? Should I say no to stay true to my goals? Lets face it, things change, events occur, I cannot plan for the unknown or things out of my control.


Sometimes it can feel like nothing are going anywhere fast, lost in disorganised chaos (also known as: life in general) and don't have time to Stop.Reflect.Celebrate.


While I do create moodboards, scrapbooks and online galleries (pinterest!) for the things and directions I wish to head into. (And, I think it helps, by looking at those images I can then work towards surrounding myself in similar surrounds and begin to naturally move in the right direction.) For others it might be mindmaps, lists, SMART goals etc.

Ultimately I think success and opportunity can come down to three simple things:

1. Do what you love


Not meaning to quit your job and devote yourself to full time dreamer, but to take up a hobby of something you enjoy doing, maybe it is sport, craft, photography, building, gardening - and hey, who knows, one day someone might notice your efforts or work and it could turn into a career!


2. Be organised


No one ever got the job for turning up late. Get your life in order, maybe start to plan your meals and shop with a list, write out your financial budgets, keep paperwork where it should be (not shared around the kitchen drawer, coffee table, handbag and car glovebox), clean out your closet, be early, always double check and never assume.

3. Embrace change


The old saying of what doesn't kill you makes you stronger is actually pretty accurate. Sadly this sometimes means dealing with pretty intense pain and suffering, but there is always something positive to come from it. Days before a woman I idolise passed away from a long battle with cancer declared "Man I've had a good life, I am so lucky" Even though she had to look death in the face, to hold such a beautifully positive outlook shows true character and her bright amazing soul. There is no point getting stuck in your ways and becoming complacent, that is when you will get left behind.



A great successful life cannot be written on paper, it must be felt within the heart.
Let's discuss! Do you set goals? Are you tied to your list or do you constantly reassess it?

When you think to your greatest achievement, was it a result of meticulous planning or was it all by chance and a stroke of luck? Perhaps a bit of both?

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Liked this post? Why not leave a comment! I LOVE reading each and every one.. Xx

MB Captured - Behind the Business All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger