Each year I eagerly await the release of a new diary, soon to be accompanied by a new journal. Approaching each year as a fresh start on the next, with a chance to realign and set your path, opportunity to reflect on where you were 12 months ago (or even more) and see how far you have come spiritually, financially, in relationships, career/s and experiences etc.
Goals should be there to keep you ‘on track’, to give purpose and provide rewards for your achievements. They shouldn’t be there to add pressure and freak us out or even worse, disappointed in ourselves.
The key to successful goals is making them attainable, don’t confuse a set of goals with you ‘wishlist’ or your “if I won the lottery I would..” list.
For me I am a visual person, meaning I retain pictures, handwritten notes, faces etc, far better than I can numbers, words from text books, peoples names…. My goals are best laid out on a vision board full of images which set the mood and story for the year I hope to achieve. Thanks to beautiful blogs like In Spaces Between, it becomes easier for people to create their goals in a visual format!
Another tip I find really useful, when you are writing in birthdays to your new diary, add in every 3 or so months to reassess and revisit your goals list to measure you success. Perhaps it would be time to realign them? Perhaps something changed? Maybe you have achieved a few and can celebrate?
Which leads me to the most important part about goals, CELEBRATE! Celebrate every win, whether big or small. Give yourself a reward every now and then. Maybe it’s a day off to watch DVD’s, a massage, a new nail polish… Whatever makes you smile!
I thought I would share with you my current photo boards for 2012, one is for my personal development and the others are for two major projects this year, wedding and home renovations. These were put together from a pile of magazines I have hoarded for almost 2 years, I decided when I put these together to spend some time getting back to the early days of primary school.... cutting and pasting!! If you would like to see images I find online, I am also on Pinterest.
If you have created a vision board for 2012 why not share it?!? Leave your comments below with a link to yours. Xx
My personal development board is about:
- Taking long weekends away - for so long we have ditched the annual holiday and done lots of mini getaways, they are so refreshing
- Getting hitched!!
- Reaching the peak of my fitness (this was on my list for 2011 - I don't think I...quite.... got... there...)
- Movie nights in - our favourite way to break up the working week!
- Collecting teacups - yep my new hobby - much to my fiancés disgust!
- Getting outdoors - especially to the slopes in winter!
- Re-decorating our bedroom
- Doing more creative/DIY renovations and decorating around my home
- More time with my friends
- Plan my meals (thanks to Typo we have a weekly meal planner for the fridge) and cook from scratch
- Renovating the kitchen
- Spend more time sharing my hobby, photography, through my blog and reach more followers
This is a mood board for my home, anything 'new mixed with old' or 'rustic blended with delicate' steals my attention. Ahhhh, it's all too perfect!
Sneak peek at my wedding inspiration book, this will be on its way to busting at the spiral bound when I am done!


Beautiful blog! And yay for getting hitched!
ReplyDeleteMinted Magazine
mintedmag.com
I love this post and your list! I think movie nights in and long weekends away sound like the perfect way to spend 2012! xo
ReplyDeleteLove the personal development board...great ideas here!!
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of a wedding inspiration book, very clever.
ReplyDeleteI love your purposeful, organised approach to goal setting and getting the most out of life. So many people seem to walk around in a bit of a daze, but you seem to be so consciously enjoying all the joys!
ReplyDeleteCatherine @ The Spring
p.s. your wedding book... stunning!
this is a beautiful idea. I write for bridal magazines and always recommend that brides create a vision board - it ensures the 'style' of your wedding is harmonious and a wonderful reflection of you and your husband x
ReplyDelete